How Solar Power Systems Work
How does a Grid Connected Solar Power System work?
- Sunlight hits the solar photovoltaic panels mounted on your home/building and electricity is produced
- The electricity runs through high voltage DC (direct current) cable from the roof down to your Inverter which converts the DC power into useable AC (alternating current).
- The power then runs from your Inverter to your switch board.
- Any appliances using AC power including electric hot water cylinders can use this power as your system generates it and converts it.
- Any excess electricity generated by your solar power system that your household does not consume will be sold back to the grid or stored in your batteries if you opt for battery storage.